(reposted with permission from original author)
“Chances are you must have already heard something about Linux in the lines of:
- Linux is hard
- Linux is a hacker tool
- Linux is for hardcore geeks
I am sorry to disappoint you but these are not true.
Linux is no harder to use than Windows and in many ways a better alternative to it. When it comes to hacking any OS can be used as a “Hacker tool”. Linux is not just for hardcore geeks , Linux is for everyone.
Few(of the many)Advantages of Linux are:
- Linux is versatile. Most of the Linux distributions are free of cost like Ubuntu(which is the most popular and widely used Linux distro).
- Linux is easy to install. I had only followed the installation instructions provided on the Ubuntu download page and then the installer itself when I installed Ubuntu for the first time.
- Linux is very stable. And even if the system crashes(which is an off case)the whole system doesn’t goes down.The Blue Screen Of Death that most Windows users will be familiar with is not a worry for the Linux users.
- Linux is Virus free. I don’t sit around wasting my time on running a resource hogging Antivirus Software for which a Windows users would actually pay for(and even then you can’t be sure that you are 100% safe).
- Linux doesn’t slows down with usage and passage of time. Also there is no need to defragment your hard disks on it.
- Linux can breathe new life into old computers! If you have an older computer (especially Pentium III or later) laying around, you can install Linux and in essence have a new computer. In many cases Linux will run faster and you can do all of the basics such as browse the Internet, email, play games, and create and edit documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. It should also be mentioned that Linux runs great on newer computers as well.
- Linux can free you from the clutches of Software “Piracy”(although the correct terms would be “unauthorized copying” or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal). If you are a Muslim reader know this, “Piracy” is HARAAM because stealing is Haraam. It does not matter in which form you are doing it, Stop it now before its too late.
- Linux has applications galore.There is a wealth of applications available to Linux users, again most of them are Free of cost. Popular applications like Mozilla Firefox,Mozilla Thunderbird,Google Chrome(which initiated from the Chromium project),Vlc,Amarok,Audacity and many more come under the banner of FOSS. Also check these Linux Equivalents to Windows Software , 50 Open Source replacements for Really Expensive Software , Top 50 best Linux apps 2011.
- Linux is more than just a Software, Linux is a Community. A Community of varied Individuals from different walks of life, having different belief systems but have one thing in common. We All Choose To Be LIBERATED.
- Linux has great support system. There is support available for any of your queries/problems on different levels through various mediums(Documentation,Forums,Tutorials,Live chat with fellow users and support providers on IRC channels and more).
If you want to know about more advantages check these: